President Bergman to Students, Faculty, Staff, and Alumni: April 16, 2024 Posted on June 5th, 2024 by

President Rebecca M. Bergman

Gustavus students, faculty, and staff,

I am filled with sincere gratitude and deep optimism for the future as I write today to let you know that I will be retiring next summer after the 2024-25 academic year. The College’s official announcement is available online.

The opportunity to serve the Gustavus community has been the highest honor of my professional career. From the moment I stepped on this campus, I have been inspired by the steadfast devotion to our mission to prepare students for fulfilling lives of leadership and service in society.

When I began in 2014, “community” was the first theme I chose to focus on, and community remains a primary focus as I prepare for my last year as President. Together, we have forged new relationships, gathered resources and momentum, and transformed our curriculum and our facilities. We crafted the Gustavus Acts Strategic Plan, which has evolved over time to meet new challenges and which continues to guide our work to diversify and expand the Gustavus community, deliver a distinctive and integrated liberal arts education, and achieve financial, institutional, and environmental sustainability. We navigated the COVID-19 pandemic. We have responded and are responding to changes across the landscape of higher education. Through it all, we have held fast to our fundamental mission as a student-centered institution with a holistic and supportive learning environment that prepares young people to lead purposeful lives and to act on the great challenges of our time.

In 2014, I promised to commit myself to the collective work of this great learning community and to engage with all those who care about the Gustavus mission to make this organization a model for the future of the liberal arts. I affirm that promise today. I am committed to leading the College with diligence, thoughtfulness, and an eye toward the future as the Board of Trustees leads the search for the 18th President of Gustavus Adolphus College over the course of the next year. Board Chair Marcia Page ‘82 will communicate more information about next steps and what to expect from the process in the coming days.

As we continue our important work together, I want to express my sincere appreciation for the people of this community—students, faculty, staff, parents, alumni, and friends— who remain so passionately committed to this institution. There will be much time for reflection and reminiscing over the course of the next year. For now, I ask for your continued partnership and engagement as we continue to shape the future of this wonderful community.

Yours in community,

President Bergman