Monday Moments with President Bergman: May 7, 2018Gustavus President Rebecca M. Bergman shares her thoughts with College employees each week.
Posted on May 7th, 2018 by

President Rebecca M. Bergman

Spring is the season of renewal, new beginnings, and hope. It brings a freshness to the air and a profound sense of abundance. Over the course of a few short weeks, nature reawakens and brings forth a palette of vibrant colors all around us.

On Friday and Saturday, I had the privilege of attending many of the events associated with Honors Weekend, all of which celebrated the extraordinary accomplishments of our students in academics, leadership, and service. This is a spring ritual at Gustavus that is truly inspirational. As we applaud the amazing achievements of our students, we are reminded of the importance of our mission and the many ways we work to prepare young people for lives of meaning and purpose. I sincerely appreciate all those who prepared for and hosted the many families and friends who were on campus throughout the weekend.

On Saturday evening, as I was driving to the Twin Cities through some light rain, I suddenly noticed the full arc of a beautiful rainbow in the eastern sky. What a glorious capstone to a great day! And then, lo and behold, I saw it was a double rainbow, which made it even grander. There is something mesmerizing about seeing a rainbow. It is an unexpected and captivating display of nature’s beauty. I am guessing that many of you, like me, remember ROY G BIV whenever you see a rainbow and find yourself counting how many of the seven colors you can identify. For me, seeing a rainbow is a true moment of childlike wonder and joy.

This week, put a little spring in your step and take time to enjoy the emergence of new life and color on our campus. And, every chance you get, follow the advice of Maya Angelou, and “Be a rainbow in someone else’s cloud.”

Until next week, keep up the good work, Gusties!

With respect,

Becky