Monday Moments with President Bergman: March 14, 2022Gustavus President Rebecca M. Bergman shares her thoughts with College students, faculty, and staff each week.
Posted on March 14th, 2022 by

President Rebecca M. Bergman

Yesterday, I was suddenly aware that signs of spring are starting to be noticeable. Daylight saving time has begun, the sun is starting to feel significantly warmer, the birds are singing in the mornings, patches of grass are showing all over campus, and spring break is almost here.

Yes, I know that we may still see some snow and colder temperatures in the next few weeks, but I must admit that I am ready to put away my winter coat, stocking hat, and mittens. My thoughts are filled with hope and optimism as I anticipate warmer days and the variety of activities that accompany spring weather at Gustavus. I am looking forward to seeing spring flowers, especially the tulips in the Arboretum that are planted by incoming first-year students during orientation. Soon the trees will start to leaf out again, and we’ll marvel at the beauty of the crabapple blossoms on Old Main hill. Baseball, softball, tennis, track and field, and golf teams are all looking forward to practicing outdoors. Students will soon look for their frisbees and hammocks, and the adirondack chairs will be back on the campus lawns. I can hardly wait!

Spring is all about renewal, rebirth, and rejuvenation—an awakening of nature that comes forth with a rush of color and new life. What are your favorite signs of spring? The air has a freshness to it that fills the senses, particularly after a spring rain. The birds are busy building their nests, and the ducks and geese will soon return to the lakes and ponds. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for my first sighting of a robin, and I’ll cheer when the snow piles are finally gone.

Students—spring break is only a few days away. And it is the first “real” spring break that we have had since the pandemic began in spring of 2020. I am excited for you to have a break from the routines of classes, textbooks, homework, midterms, and papers. I hope that you have a chance for relaxation, fun, and renewal. Read a book, write in your journal, catch up on much-needed sleep, play a game, connect with friends and family, watch a movie, go to a museum, take a walk, get outdoors, and enjoy the arrival of spring.

It’s hard to believe that when classes resume on March 28, we’ll have just over six weeks remaining in the semester. It will go fast, Gusties! Have a restful and restorative spring break!

Yours in community,

President Bergman